Frequently Asked Questions

Scroll below to view frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers.

Water Utility

What do I do if I suspect a water main break in or by a street?
Contact the Heyworth Water Department if you believe a water main is leaking or broken.  Indicators of a water main leak include:
  • Water bubbling or pouring out of a street or concentrated area, other than waterways (creeks, ponds, basins);
  • Wet areas when all surrounding area is dry; or
  • Water leaking from a valve or fire hydrant.
Do I have a water leak inside my home?
If your water bill appears high to you, there are some tips we suggest to check to see if you have a leak.  A good starting point is to compare your current water bill to previous water bills and look at the gallons of usage compared to previous months.  If the usage is increasing, you may have a leak.  For homes with the newest water meters, which are most of the meters in town, if the meter detects a leak based on abnormally high usage, a statement may also appear on the bottom of your bill indicating the type and duration of the leak.  If you receive this notice, or if you suspect a water leak, the following may help.

The most common leaks are:
  1. Toilet flapper leaks - as the gaskets age they become less flexible and don't always seal correctly.  Even a barely perceptible leak of 0.08 gallons per minute can add up to over 3,000 gallons in a month!  Dye strips are available free of charge at Village Hall to check for toilet flapper leaks.
  2. Water softeners - about 2 - 3 times per year a resident has a water bill over 20,000 gallons that is the result of a water softener being stuck in backwash mode continuously.  If you have a water softener, verify whether it is continuously cycling.
  3. Outside faucets - outside faucets that are not shut off or protected from freezing are another common source of leaks and high water bills.  A standard 5/8-inch hose delivers up to 17 gallons per minute or over 20,000 gallons a day!
  4. Leaking faucets - a faucet that doesn't shut off all the way may not seem like much water, but over the course of the month can easily add up to thousands of gallons.
  5. Toilet overflows being set improperly - the toilet tank should stop filling between 1/2" and 1/4" from the overflow.  Continuous filling of a toilet tank can run through almost 100,000 gallons in a month!

Code Enforcement

There is a property that needs to be cleaned up - Who do I contact?
The Village of Heyworth Code Enforcement handles all complaints related to property maintenance and upkeep.  You may complete a complaint form online or print and drop off the complaint form.

Energy Aggregation

What is Municipal Energy Aggregation?
Municipal Energy Aggregation is the concept that municipalities, because they can negotiate the purchase of energy/electricity supply from an energy supplier for every household within the municipality pursuant to the Illinois Power Agency Act, can get a cheaper energy supply rate for every household than if individual homes negotiated the purchase of energy supply themselves.  In other words, its often cheaper to buy in bulk.  The more customers an energy supplier knows it will have, the cheaper the rate the energy supplier may provide.  

To review more information about the Village's Municipal Energy Aggregation, click here.
What if I don't want to be a part of Heyworth's Municipal Energy Aggregation contract?
If you do not want to be a part of Heyworth's Municipal Energy Aggregation contract, you must complete and send the opt-out notice you should receive in the mail from the energy supplier the Village approved.
What do I do if I want to be a part of Heyworth's Municipal Energy Aggregation?
Nothing.  The Village utilizes an "opt-out" program for its municipal energy aggregation which means that every household within the Village is automatically enrolled in and is a part of the Village's municipal energy aggregation contract.  If you do not want to be a part of the Village's municipal energy aggregation contract, you can opt-out by completing and returning an opt-out notice mailed to you by municipal energy aggregation supplier, which is currently Homefield Energy.  

Electric & Gas

Who do I contact if my power is out?
If your power is out, contact Ameren at (800) 755-5000 or go to their website, found here.

Property Pin Locates

Does the Village locate property pins for my property?
No, the Village does not locate property pins.  Under Illinois law, a licensed surveyor should locate your property pins.


Do I need a fence for a pool or hot tub?
Per the building codes adopted by the Village, an outdoor swimming pool, including inground pools or above- ground pools, or a hot tub, shall be surrounded by a barrier or fence that is at least 48" tall above grade measured on the side of the barrier which faces away from the swimming pool or hot tub.   If an above-ground pool or hot tub has a ladder or steps, the ladder or steps shall be capable of being secured, locked or removed to prevent access; otherwise, a fence or barrier is required around those steps or ladder.

So if your hot tub or above-ground pool is at least 48" tall from the ground to enter the pool or hot tub, a fence or barrier would not be required unless there are steps or ladders to enter the pool or hot tub and those steps or ladders are not capable of being secured, locked, or removed.  Any pool or hot tub having sides or a barrier shorter than 48" must have a fence or barrier surrounding it.

For further information, please contact the Village by calling (309) 473-2811 or email